Women's basketball, Track and Field earn national rankings
The women's basketball team is sixth in the Mid-Atlantic in
the first regional rankings of the 2011-12 season released by the NCAA. The committee that determines these rankings is the one that will ultimately award bids to the NCAA Tournament.
The regional rankings are based on a combination of in-region winning percentage and strength of schedule, calculated using opponents' winning percentage and opponents' opponents' winning percentage.
Here are the top six in the rankings, through games of last weekend, with in-region record and overall record:
1. Juniata 20-0/21-1
2. Lebanon Valley 19-2/19-2
3. King's 17-2/18-3
4. Johns Hopkins 17-2/19-2
5. Messiah 15-3/16-4
6. Muhlenberg 15-5/15-5
The Mules have since improved their record to 17-5 with wins against Dickinson and Bryn Mawr the last two nights. Johns Hopkins dropped to 17-3 in the region with a loss at McDaniel last night. Muhlenberg is tied for third in the Centennial Conference, two games behind Hopkins, with three games to play in the regular season.
After a week out, the men's track and field team returned to Mideast Region top 10, as released by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.
The Mules were eighth in the first rankings, then slipped to 12th. This week, Muhlenberg is ninth:
6. Johns Hopkins
7. Carnegie Mellon
The rankings are based on teams' ability to score points in a meet, based on their performances to date. The Mules, who have run in five meets this season, have their last big meet before the CC Championships when they travel to the Armory in New York City for the Lafayette-Rider Games tomorrow.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Recent Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MUHLENBERG WEEKLY NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MUHLENBERG WEEKLY NEWS
RECENT MUHLENBERG WEEKLY CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?