Women's basketball, Track and Field earn national rankings
The women's basketball team is sixth in the Mid-Atlantic in
the first regional rankings of the 2011-12 season released by the NCAA. The committee that determines these rankings is the one that will ultimately award bids to the NCAA Tournament.
The regional rankings are based on a combination of in-region winning percentage and strength of schedule, calculated using opponents' winning percentage and opponents' opponents' winning percentage.
Here are the top six in the rankings, through games of last weekend, with in-region record and overall record:
1. Juniata 20-0/21-1
2. Lebanon Valley 19-2/19-2
3. King's 17-2/18-3
4. Johns Hopkins 17-2/19-2
5. Messiah 15-3/16-4
6. Muhlenberg 15-5/15-5
The Mules have since improved their record to 17-5 with wins against Dickinson and Bryn Mawr the last two nights. Johns Hopkins dropped to 17-3 in the region with a loss at McDaniel last night. Muhlenberg is tied for third in the Centennial Conference, two games behind Hopkins, with three games to play in the regular season.
After a week out, the men's track and field team returned to Mideast Region top 10, as released by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.
The Mules were eighth in the first rankings, then slipped to 12th. This week, Muhlenberg is ninth:
6. Johns Hopkins
7. Carnegie Mellon
The rankings are based on teams' ability to score points in a meet, based on their performances to date. The Mules, who have run in five meets this season, have their last big meet before the CC Championships when they travel to the Armory in New York City for the Lafayette-Rider Games tomorrow.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Recent Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MUHLENBERG WEEKLY
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MUHLENBERG WEEKLY NEWS
- Why you shouldn’t read the book first
- Duck and cover: a Reflection on Fear and Violence
- A Student’s Perspective
- Verizon will get the LG V10 exclusively in Luxe White
- Can ‘Berg banish the ‘Muhlenplague’?
- To name, or not to name: that is the question
- New exhibit from R. Sikoryak opens in Martin Art Gallery
RECENT MUHLENBERG WEEKLY CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Firefighter Battles Flames and Cancer
- Winter Is Coming: Is Your Fuel Ready?
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move