Women's basketball, Track and Field earn national rankings
The women's basketball team is sixth in the Mid-Atlantic in
the first regional rankings of the 2011-12 season released by the NCAA. The committee that determines these rankings is the one that will ultimately award bids to the NCAA Tournament.
The regional rankings are based on a combination of in-region winning percentage and strength of schedule, calculated using opponents' winning percentage and opponents' opponents' winning percentage.
Here are the top six in the rankings, through games of last weekend, with in-region record and overall record:
1. Juniata 20-0/21-1
2. Lebanon Valley 19-2/19-2
3. King's 17-2/18-3
4. Johns Hopkins 17-2/19-2
5. Messiah 15-3/16-4
6. Muhlenberg 15-5/15-5
The Mules have since improved their record to 17-5 with wins against Dickinson and Bryn Mawr the last two nights. Johns Hopkins dropped to 17-3 in the region with a loss at McDaniel last night. Muhlenberg is tied for third in the Centennial Conference, two games behind Hopkins, with three games to play in the regular season.
After a week out, the men's track and field team returned to Mideast Region top 10, as released by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.
The Mules were eighth in the first rankings, then slipped to 12th. This week, Muhlenberg is ninth:
6. Johns Hopkins
7. Carnegie Mellon
The rankings are based on teams' ability to score points in a meet, based on their performances to date. The Mules, who have run in five meets this season, have their last big meet before the CC Championships when they travel to the Armory in New York City for the Lafayette-Rider Games tomorrow.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More The Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Recent The Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MUHLENBERG WEEKLY
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MUHLENBERG WEEKLY NEWS
- Filler places second in Centennial Conference
- Muhlenberg Circus Workshop presents: VOD
- BergVotes runs mock Muhlenberg Caucus
- Dean Green’s Living on Purpose: living life to the fullest
- The split: how the divide between candidates will cost parties the election
- This Week in The Muhlenberg Weekly History: A Day in the Life of a...
- When to publish?
RECENT THE MUHLENBERG WEEKLY CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board