Arizona sets precedent for immigration
This week an Arizona judge ruled that police can immediately start enforcing one of the most heavily debated sections of the state's immigration law. This marks the first time that officers are allowed to question the immigration status of those suspected of being in the country illegally while officers are enforcing other laws. U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton, who delivered the ruling, is responsible for the latest landmark in a two-year legal battle over the requirement. In June the legal battle culminated with the U.S. Supreme Court concurring with the provision on the grounds that it does not conflict with federal law.
People who oppose the requirement have responded to the Supreme court decision by referring to it as the "show me your papers" provision. Also, opponents have asked Bolton to block the provision on different grounds because they feel that it will lead to systematic racial profiling and unjustified long detentions of Latinos if enforced. The law as been in effect since July 2010, and other less controversial provisions of the law have been in effect, such as small alternations to Arizona's 2005 immigrant smuggling law and an outlaw on state and local government agencies from restricting the enforcement of federal immigration law. These provisions have rarely been used since put into effect.
We do not feel that this law is appropriate. Government needs to work on finding a balance between enforcing immigration laws and racial profiling. If the only way that the government feels they can enforce immigration laws, then it shows that they are very ineffective.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Recent Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MUHLENBERG WEEKLY
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MUHLENBERG WEEKLY NEWS
- Hillary Clinton For President!
- Why Rand Paul’s Libertarian Message to Young Voters Won’t Wash
- Here’s to “Driving the Bus”
- Fans petition Netflix to Give Daredevil Audio Descriptions
- Has Game of Thrones Become Too Popular For Its Own Good?
- Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp a Butterfly Review
- How to Study Abroad for Free!
RECENT MUHLENBERG WEEKLY CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now