Arizona sets precedent for immigration
This week an Arizona judge ruled that police can immediately start enforcing one of the most heavily debated sections of the state's immigration law. This marks the first time that officers are allowed to question the immigration status of those suspected of being in the country illegally while officers are enforcing other laws. U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton, who delivered the ruling, is responsible for the latest landmark in a two-year legal battle over the requirement. In June the legal battle culminated with the U.S. Supreme Court concurring with the provision on the grounds that it does not conflict with federal law.
People who oppose the requirement have responded to the Supreme court decision by referring to it as the "show me your papers" provision. Also, opponents have asked Bolton to block the provision on different grounds because they feel that it will lead to systematic racial profiling and unjustified long detentions of Latinos if enforced. The law as been in effect since July 2010, and other less controversial provisions of the law have been in effect, such as small alternations to Arizona's 2005 immigrant smuggling law and an outlaw on state and local government agencies from restricting the enforcement of federal immigration law. These provisions have rarely been used since put into effect.
We do not feel that this law is appropriate. Government needs to work on finding a balance between enforcing immigration laws and racial profiling. If the only way that the government feels they can enforce immigration laws, then it shows that they are very ineffective.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More muhlenbergweekly News Articles
Recent muhlenbergweekly News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MUHLENBERGWEEKLY
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MUHLENBERGWEEKLY NEWS
RECENT MUHLENBERGWEEKLY CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Oleg Frish's Dream Comes True With New Duets Album
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Knowledge Gaps in Vaccination Against Meningococcal Disease
- Five Easy Steps to Own Holiday Shopping on a Budget
- CSUN Secular Student Alliance holds their first meeting
- Application Deadline Near for $100,000 Excellence in Innovation Award
- Voto Latino to Host Event on Climate Change Challenges & Opportunities