Arizona sets precedent for immigration
This week an Arizona judge ruled that police can immediately start enforcing one of the most heavily debated sections of the state's immigration law. This marks the first time that officers are allowed to question the immigration status of those suspected of being in the country illegally while officers are enforcing other laws. U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton, who delivered the ruling, is responsible for the latest landmark in a two-year legal battle over the requirement. In June the legal battle culminated with the U.S. Supreme Court concurring with the provision on the grounds that it does not conflict with federal law.
People who oppose the requirement have responded to the Supreme court decision by referring to it as the "show me your papers" provision. Also, opponents have asked Bolton to block the provision on different grounds because they feel that it will lead to systematic racial profiling and unjustified long detentions of Latinos if enforced. The law as been in effect since July 2010, and other less controversial provisions of the law have been in effect, such as small alternations to Arizona's 2005 immigrant smuggling law and an outlaw on state and local government agencies from restricting the enforcement of federal immigration law. These provisions have rarely been used since put into effect.
We do not feel that this law is appropriate. Government needs to work on finding a balance between enforcing immigration laws and racial profiling. If the only way that the government feels they can enforce immigration laws, then it shows that they are very ineffective.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Recent Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MUHLENBERG WEEKLY
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MUHLENBERG WEEKLY NEWS
- Why you shouldn’t read the book first
- Duck and cover: a Reflection on Fear and Violence
- A Student’s Perspective
- Verizon will get the LG V10 exclusively in Luxe White
- Can ‘Berg banish the ‘Muhlenplague’?
- To name, or not to name: that is the question
- New exhibit from R. Sikoryak opens in Martin Art Gallery
RECENT MUHLENBERG WEEKLY CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Firefighter Battles Flames and Cancer
- Winter Is Coming: Is Your Fuel Ready?
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move