College's Activities Fair starts year off right
This past Saturday afternoon, September first, Muhlenberg held its annual activities fair. Stretching from Seegers Union to Parent's Plaza through Academic Row, the fair showcased dozens of the school's clubs, involvements, and groups. Each activity had a table with representatives offering information about their involvement, creating an energetic atmosphere where students felt both welcome and intrigued. Eric Chavis, for example, is a sophomore who is heavily involved in the Student Government Association (SGA), adding that the fair "definitely opens your eyes to lots of opportunities you have on campus and enables you to explore new interests that you may not have originally sought." Walking through the arrangement, there were constant questions and enthusiasm about this special time to become involved on campus. Another sophomore, Jeremy Fus, discussed his interest in the acapella group Chaimonics: "Being at a school with such talented singers and performers I was always intimidated to join a group, but when I approached the table I was met with such excitement and welcome that I felt immediately comfortable putting my email down."Every table made their club their own. You could see ongoing fencing on top of the steps of Parent's Plaza, hear performance groups singing down Academic Row, and feel the dance groups showing off their moves. Jimmy Custer, an active member of the Chemistry Club, said his table's "silly putty was an awesome way to draw people in, and always kept people interested."
The most significant audience for the activities fair is the new freshmen class. Looking down the email lists there was a remarkable turnout and interest from the class of 2016. Adam Offit is a senior and the captain of Muhlenberg's Ultimate Frisbee team, and commented on this show of curiosity, remarking "many of the people who signed up were freshmen, which ensures a promising future for the club."
Aside from the students expressing interest, many activities themselves also experienced important changes. Each year many clubs, such as the Education Society, which were inactive or understated in past years, are planning incredible events for this upcoming year.
Most importantly, the activities fair serves as a sincere and social way for people to meet around campus. It celebrates everyone's unique interests, and makes them accessible in a warm and relaxed environment. However, if you missed the activities fair, there are still many ways to get involved with the variety of clubs and organizations Muhlenberg has to offer. The college's website and information desk offer information and references for the activities, all of which are always eagerly encouraging newcomers.
In fact, Adam was so eager he lightheartedly proposed that "no other table got as many signatures as [Ultimate] did." Needless to say, the event definitely left an impact on all who attended and serves as one of the many special slices of Muhlenberg life.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Recent Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MUHLENBERG WEEKLY
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MUHLENBERG WEEKLY NEWS
RECENT MUHLENBERG WEEKLY CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Prevent Water Damage And Cut Insurance Costs
- How to Sit Through a Movie in Comfort
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'