Interview with Music Industry Executive: Jeff Rabhan
I recently had the pleasure of interviewing the accomplished music industry executive, Jeffrey Rabhan. The NYU graduate shared his experiences in this industry and even exposed some of the tactics in getting a leg up in "the business".
He explained the pull factors that dispatched him from his childhood town of Richmond, VA to the city that never sleeps. As an ambitious teenager Rabhan recognized that NYC, being the cultural and musical hub for the US in the 1980's, was the right place to start his career. He characterized New York as a diverse city with much European influence. It is a city where one can be a "real citizen" and get the benefits of a proper education and take advantage of a wide network of music industry connections.
I was impressed with his activity and determination in the music industry, so naturally I assumed that he was a musician himself. When I asked he humorously remarked, "I have failed miserably in all areas of music." Musical talent aside, he experienced success with is company, "Three Rings Project". The goal of the company was to connect Nashville to Los Angeles. When I asked Rabhan about his business background, I was befuddled that the extent of his background was undergrad management courses.
Jeff is currently a professor at NYU and I was curious what led him back there. "NYU has a great program with a holistic approach." He informed me that talent alone does not ensure an artist's prosperity. The savviest artists are those who have a good balance between talent and business skills.
Is NYC the "place to be" for up and coming artists? He assured me that it is cyclical. LA currently has a real estate advantage over New York. There is more space and more clubs in LA, however NYC is a much more diverse town with a larger array of options.
There have been a lot of issues with illegally downloaded music since the technology era began. I asked Jeff what he foresees for the future of the music industry based on this factor and he believes that we are at the end of the fallout. There are new ways to make money with music nowadays other than selling albums.
As an experienced executive in the business, I inquire as to how up and coming artists may get a leg up in their careers. "There is no ONE thing; there are several puzzle pieces that add up to success." The first step is to immerse oneself into the music industry, which means internships and every other opportunity possible. Productivity is the key to success in the music industry. No opportunity is too meager.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Recent Muhlenberg Weekly News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MUHLENBERG WEEKLY
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MUHLENBERG WEEKLY NEWS
- Grand Jury Decision on Darren Wilson Sparks Muhlenberg Protest
- “bELieve”: The Remarkable Story of Eric LeGrand
- OSU Defensive Lineman Found Dead, Many Questions Remain
- Syrian Civil War: What You Should Know
- Stripping an Honorary Degree
- Google Chrome Strategizes to Placate Internet Disconnection Frustration
- Holiday Gift Guide 2014
RECENT MUHLENBERG WEEKLY CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists